Re: [O] mixed orgmode installation

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] mixed orgmode installation
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 09:31:57 -0500

On Wed, Sep 4, 2013 at 2:20 PM, Achim Gratz <address@hidden> wrote:
> Johannes Rainer writes:
>> is there a "clean" way to disable the built in org from emacs?
>
> Short answer: no.
>
>> I'm loading org mode from git externally, but newer emacs always come
>> with org mode included.
>
> That's not a problem as long as you set up the load-path to point to the
> install made via Git before loading Org.  I don't recommend working from
> a Git tree directly because it's just too easy to mess up with the
> autoloads or have stale byte-compiled files somewhere that you forgot
> about.

Could you elaborate on this? I'd always thought the exact opposite due
to being burned in the past by stale junk littered around /usr/lib,
/usr/bin, /usr/local/[bin/sbin]. Thus, for some things, I prefer to
run them from the git repository since I know where they'll be vs.
where `make install` might desire to put them.

What happens, for example, in this situation:
- git clone
- make && make install
- some file.el gets moved from org.git/contrib/lisp to org.git/lisp in master
- git pull
- make && make install

Are there now two copies of file.el somewhere in the system?

Anyway, if there's more to read on some of your situations, I'd love
to know as I've been doing exactly that and want to stop if it's
recommended against! Thanks for mentioning the potential risk, as I
had no idea!

Best regards,
John