Re: [O] Outline cycling does not preserve point's position

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Outline cycling does not preserve point's position
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 09:53:45 +0200

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 09:32:57AM +0200, Suvayu Ali wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 08:03:32AM +0200, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> >
> > One more thought:  What if the paragraph motion commands did use elements,
> > but
> > ignored the hierarchy.  So they jump to the next headline, paragraph,
> > table, src block, item?
> >
> > I think this would feel similar to what paragraph motion does in text mode.
>
> This is a great suggestion!

Actually it is not trivial to do this I think.  It requires a lot of
special handling.  Effectively you have to "flatten" the element tree
(since there are greater elements, and more fundamental elements).  One
might then say: aha, just use the leaf nodes.  But again that does not
work.

A few examples: although a regular paragraph (whatever that might
be :-p) could be a leaf, what about a list?  Do we want traversing list
items or entire lists with this new implementation?  For a list with one
line entries, going over entire lists might be desired, on the other
hand a user might expect to traverse entries when going through a list
with multi-line or multi-paragraph entries.  Then there are tables, do
you traverse rows (which are elements AFAIU) or entire tables; and so
on.

As you see this is a rather subjective issue.  I have a few thoughts
though.  We could discuss this on the list and give a default
implementation based on the consensus, but it would be nice to give an
easy way to _write_ a custom paragraph motion command using elements.  I
am not sure what that might be though :-p.  I will try to think about
this some more.

Cheers,

--
Suvayu