Re: [O] LaTeX export: images subplots

From: Charles Berry
Subject: Re: [O] LaTeX export: images subplots
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 04:45:42 +0000 (UTC)

Martin Leduc <mart_00 <at> hotmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,

> I am using org-mode to write a report with several figures. I would
> like to group some images into a same figure, let say a 2x2 panel. I
> know that I can directly embed latex code in my org file, for
> example by using the subfloats (from the latex subfig package).
> However, I would prefer to use an org-based solution of inserting
> the image links in order to keep the convenient way of previewing
> images right into the buffer with C-c C-x C-v.

> The only solution I found is by using tables such as:
>
> #+CAPTION: Insert caption here.
> #+ATTR_LATEX: :align p{0.5\textwidth}p{0.5\textwidth}
> | [[pathtoimage]] | [[pathtoimage]] |
> | [[pathtoimage]] | [[pathtoimage]] |
>

> where the size of the images is controled by p{} and C-cxv is
> working.  However, in the exported TeX file, it is a table, not a
> figure. Is there a cleaner way to make image panels that would
> preserve the figure environment in the exported TeX file ?

I think you are close.

Use

#+BEGIN_SRC org :exports none
#+name: imtable
<insert-your-table-here>
#+END_SRC

This gives you the images in a form you can view and a way to access the
links so you can export them in a different form.

For example,

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp :var a=imtable :exports results :results raw
  (mapconcat (lambda(y)
               (mapconcat
                (lambda(x) (org-export-string-as x 'latex t)) y "")) a "")
#+END_SRC

exports as

\includegraphics[width=.9\linewidth]{img3070YH.png}
\includegraphics[width=.9\linewidth]img307BjN.png}
\includegraphics[width=.9\linewidth]img307OtT.png}
\includegraphics[width=.9\linewidth]img307b3Z.png}

when the elements in the table are the image paths img*.png as shown.

HTH,

Chuck