Re: [O] #+BEAMER_THEME fails

From: Loris Bennett
Subject: Re: [O] #+BEAMER_THEME fails
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 14:51:36 +0200

Hi Suvayu,

Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Loris,
>
> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 10:22:40AM +0200, Loris Bennett wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Using Emacs 24.2.1 (Org mode 8.1.1) and having read the page
>>
>>   http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/ox-beamer.html
>>
>> I assumed I would be able to set the Beamer theme using
>>
>>   #+BEAMER_THEME: Madrid
>>
>> However, this did not work and I just got the default theme.  However,
>> looking at
>
> Can you provide a minimal working example[1] with a sample of the exported
> LaTeX code for you?

That was a good suggestion, as it helped me to find the problem.  My
mistake was exporting to LaTeX

  As PDF file

instead of

  As PDF file (Beamer)

In principle it is clear when you do 'C-x C-e' that you should choose
the latter option if you are using Beamer.  However, I didn't come
across any mention of export to Beamer being different from export to
non-beamer PDF in the documentation.  So maybe it would be an idea to
add a section about exporting to the tutorial

  http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/tutorial.html

to help the easily-confused, like myself.

As a matter of interest, has the new exporter always behaved like that?
And what is the rationale behind the distinction?

>>   http://orgmode.org/worg/exporters/beamer/presentation.org.html
>>
>> I found the more cryptic
>>
>>   #+latex_header: \mode<beamer>{\usetheme{Madrid}}
>>
>> which did work.
>
> Well, this inserts raw LaTeX in the exported file.  So yes, that should
> always work.
>

> Footnotes:
>
> [1] <http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#bug-reporting>

Cheers,