Re: [O] [OT] mail followup to (was Re: M-x fill-region equivalent for li

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] [OT] mail followup to (was Re: M-x fill-region equivalent for lists?)
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 10:40:49 -0500

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 9:48 AM, Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> P.S. Oddly, reply-all to your email composes an email to myself and
>> the Org-mode list, but not you directly... what might be the cause of
>> that?
>
> Hi John,
>
> that happens because I have directed, in my message, that any replies go
> to the list.  As I subscribe to the list, I do not need to have replies
> to me directly.  Scoring in gnus ensures that any email on the list that
> is part of a thread I have contributed to will be emphasised (scored
> high).
>
> The technical details: I have told gnus that any email in my lists.org
> group is email from a mailing list.  As a result, when I post to this
> list, gnus inserts the following Mail-Followup-To: mail header in the
> emails.  If you look at this email, the header should be there and it
> should look like this:

Gotcha, and sorry for incorrectly thinking this was wrong. I've never
seen that before -- if I got an email from X, with Y and Z also on the
email, it's always gone out to X, Y, and Z with reply-all, but then
again, sending to Y doesn't mean that X is also getting it as in the
case of you (X) and the mailing list (Y). Now I understand.

> In principle, it could be just the org mode mailing list but it is not
> up to me to decide whether you want direct responses or not. :-)

Got it. And now that you say that, *that's* what puzzled me when
sending it out: I got an email back to myself. So *that* I still do
find weird. If I send an email in response to your email on the list,
why would I want it sent directly to myself? Is that just because if
someone then responds to *that* email, it ensures that I get a direct
email as well as the one to the list?

>> This is the behavior I get with gmail. Just wanted to let you know.
>
> It's the correct behaviour.  For once, gmail does the right thing!

I've not played with these followup headers, so interesting to get a
bit of education about them. Thanks for explaining.

John