Re: [O] M-x fill-region equivalent for lists?

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] M-x fill-region equivalent for lists?
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 10:48:10 -0500

On Thu, Sep 19, 2013 at 9:54 AM, Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> wrote:
> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
>
> [...]
>
>> Sort of. Screenshots attached:
>> - as-is.png is the text from my initial email just yanked into Emacs
>>
>> - uneven-start.png is the result of `M-x fill-paragraph` on that text
>>
>> - even-start.png is the result of `M-x fill-paragraph` on the text if
>> I make sure the start of every line is justified with two spaces, as
>> it would if I'd been writing that full line directly in an Org list
>> item and then deleted/shortened some of the lines.
>>
>> - default.org is me taking the original yanked text and arranging it
>> all on one line, then pressing space at the end of the line.
>>
>> So... if the start of the lines in an item aren't even, you get an
>> uneven fill,
>
> Yes, this is as expected, based on fill-paragraph's algorithm for what
> to fill and how to define the fill prefix.
>
>> and in both cases, the right ragged edge is more ragged
>> than Org would have done on it's own.
>
> Yes, this is true.  Happens to me as well.  The filling is different
> when using auto-fill and writing as compared with fill-paragraph
> afterwards.  I have never used fill-region so cannot compare.

If I select/mark a paragraph, `M-x fill-region` produces paragraphs
that are identical to typing them in Org and letting the line run past
my setting for the fill-column width. So fill-region works identically
to Org; fill-paragraph does not.

>> I didn't know about this
>> function and have just always used fill-region (not sure why!), so
>> thanks for suggesting it, as it's definitely getting things close.
>
> One step at a time... ;-)  Filling appears to be a somewhat stochastic
> process although I'm sure it isn't!

See attached before and after comparing regular paragraph behavior for
Org's default behavior if you fill past the fill-column setting, M-x
fill-region, and M-x fill-paragraph. Perhaps not the most exhaustive
test, but shows that for paragraphs, the behavior of all three is the
same. I did the same for lists, but I suppose we already knew from my
previous email that Org and fill-paragraph don't agree.

> Having said this, I have now moved completely to org-indent with
> visual-line-mode and I no longer need to fill anything, when in org mode
> as opposed to message mode like this email...

Hmm. I'll have to look into that!

John