Re: [O] Spurious exporting of text before first header

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] Spurious exporting of text before first header
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 19:57:10 +0200

Hello Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> "Sebastien Vauban" writes:
>
>> Wouldn't it be worth to make such a filter officially present in Org, not
>> only for Beamer?
>
> Here we are.
>
> No it wouldn't. As I said, it's a kludge used as a workaround in
> Beamer-specific syntax because headlines, which are not blocks, can only be
> ended with another headline or the end of buffer. It's a specific solution
> for a local problem.

I understand it *is* needed for Beamer.

> These do not usually generalize very well. For example,
> visibility cycling isn't related anymore to sections in export output:
>
>   * H1
>     Section 1
>   * Ignore me! :ignoreheading:
>     Section 1 (continued)
>   * H2
>     Section 2

For me, visibility in the original Org buffer and sections in export output
are orthogonal things. They don't impact each other.

> You can achieve the same (and, apparently, you already do) with a simple
> hook, without extending Org syntax. I _really_ think that's better.

Yes, but that would solve the problem of having "preliminary" notes well or not
exported in the output, depending on the fact you tag the section or not. That
was what you said: there is no good solution between saying that preliminary
notes will always be exported (as François wished) or never, if we can't
customize that.

And that would be not only for me: by putting a hook locally, my file won't
produce the same output for all the other users. That was the point of having
it in Org, as it seems it is a common request.

That said, that's not something I need; so I don't mind that much.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban