Re: [O] Org Tutorials need more structure

From: Joseph Vidal-Rosset
Subject: Re: [O] Org Tutorials need more structure
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 09:22:02 +0200

Hi Dominik, hi everyone,

Thank you for org-mode and thanks to all who contribute to this project.

I am a newby to org-mode , I am an emacs user for LaTeX, mainly, and I would be happy to use more and more emacs, so org-mode seems very attractive.

I imagine that writing a tutorial is a big work and I hope that I will not offend people who have taken this time. But I must say that the org-mode manual and the tutorials that I have tried to read are not enough progressive for beginners and do not take care of difference between interests of people.

Example: I am presently mainly interested to see if it is possible to use gnus to write a scientific letter with all conveniences of texlive. Of course I can open a tex file with letter class and send to my colleague a pdf file. But it would be more convenient to write an email and using conversions to html and png images to send to him directly this email. I guess it is possilbe to do it with gnus. But the documentation is esoteric: I hear about links, but how it works concretly with example understanble by a newby ...  mystery. It is therefore frustrating and quickly discouraging.

So, in my opinion, a good tutorial is divided into precise tasks and speaks like that:
"You need to do that?  So, follow me , from step to step, I will going to show you how I succeed to do what you want to do, and by imitation, you will also succeed ! "  A good tutorial avoids to suppose that the reader is already an expert.

In a word, too much tutorial in org-mode lack of pedagogical efforts.

Sorry to be speak so frankly, but I hope it will help.

Waiting your help with gnus - latex and conversion in html , etc. etc.

All the best

Jo.