Re: [O] Org Tutorials need more structure

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Org Tutorials need more structure
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 09:28:01 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 07:29:26PM -0500, John Hendy wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 6:29 PM, Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > In this vein, I think it would be useful to have a brief statement about
> > Org-mode that gives the interested reader from any background a good
> > feel for the scope of Org-mode and how it presents itself to the user.
> > I don't think the current statements about what Org-mode "is" do this
> > very effectively, though they might have done so in the past.
> >

> Absolutely love that, and this puts some of your earlier comments in
> perspective -- you're looking for the 30sec elevator pitch for
> Org-mode, and saying "this outline-y task manager" is not cutting it.

To me the best way to describe Org is: a programmable and dynamic
plain-text note taking platform.  All its features are essentially built
on this ability: planning & task management, authoring or publishing,
literate programming, and what not.  On top of this, it can interact
with external applications for tasks like referencing (links, citation,
etc).  Of course trying to faithfully outline this in a few words is a
herculean task.

--
Suvayu