Re: [O] Bug: dates in heading break beamer export

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: dates in heading break beamer export
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 18:01:51 +0200

Hello,

Marcin Borkowski <address@hidden> writes:

> Daniele Pizzolli <address@hidden> napisaƂ(a):
>> Or why not drop \textit?
>
> Sounds good for me.  (NB: there's a similar problems with tags, AFAIR.
> And (AFAIR!) it's even worse, since the exporter uses a low-level TeX
> command \hfill.)

Well, there is `org-latex-active-timestamp-format',
`org-latex-inactive-timestamp-format' and even filters can do it.

It is also technically possible to write in ox-latex a section-local
specific export back-end that would translate differently some objects
in a \section{...} command. But that would make the export a bit more
unpredictable.

Of course, in a few cases, `latex' back-end does its best to circumvent
possible problems (i.e. nested footnotes), but this is nowhere near
a general rule. It's usually a lot of work for a tiny corner case.

>> > In general, putting formatting commands in \section title etc.,
>> > even if not erroneous, is considered a bad practice.
>>
>> But org-mode allow this!
>>
>> I think that if something is allowed in org-mode syntax but not by the
>> underlining tools used for export, the exporter should take care to
>> find a suitable workaround.
>
> Definitely agreed.  The point is, what is a "suitable workaround"?

I disagree. This is just unrealistic. There are many packages involving
many quirks. We cannot afford to provide a workaround to all (or even
most) of them, assuming one exists.

Also, the OP is making a false assumption. The underlining tool allows
\texit in the section \command, i.e., you can type it in a "tex" file.
You will get a compilation error, exactly as if you do the same mistake
in Org. Why Org should be smarter in this case?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou