[O] Help on spreadsheet/calc references and improvements

From: Karl Voit
Subject: [O] Help on spreadsheet/calc references and improvements
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 16:49:24 +0200

Hi!

I am no expert with calc. I enjoy using it for rather
simple things. However, I would like to use referencing more often
and I face an issue here.

Additionally, I got the feeling that some formulas could be improved
as well.

I did a very basic example in two ways: vertical layout and
horizontal layout. The reason for this is, that I got the feeling
that referencing a set of values (not a single cell) differs in
capabilities from rows to columns.

- possible improvements
  - remote reference to multiple cells
  - only one formula for summing up the columns or rows
  - simpler referencing in general?

Headings ending with a plus sign are rows/columns that ought to be
entered manually (as a basis). Others should get calculated or
filled using references. I hope the example is self-explanatory.

Names ending with "-WIST" are tables I would like to get using
formulas. Names ending with "-TRY" are draft versions that
demonstrate referencing issues. Further TBLFM below the TRY versions
contain other attempts.

Feel free to make suggestions how to overcome my lack of knowledge
:-)

Thanks!

#+NAME: Data23vert
| Descr+ | Data1+ | Data2+ |
|--------+--------+--------|
| foo    |     12 |     10 |
| bar    |     22 |     24 |
| baz    |     16 |     17 |
|--------+--------+--------|
| sum    |     50 |     51 |

#+NAME: Calc23vert-WISH
| Descr | Data2 | Double  |
|-------+-------+---------|
| foo   |    10 |      20 |
| bar   |    24 |      48 |
| baz   |    17 |      34 |
|-------+-------+---------|
| sum   |    51 |     102 |
#+TBLFM: FIXXME

#+NAME: Calc23vert-TRY
| Descr | Data2 | Double  |
|-------+-------+---------|
| foo   |    24 |      48 |
| bar   |    24 |      48 |
| baz   |    24 |      48 |
|-------+-------+---------|
| sum   |    72 |     144 |
#+TBLFM: @address@hidden(remote(Data23vert, @I$>address@hidden>),
$#)::@address@hidden::@5$2=vsum(@address@hidden)::@5$3=vsum(@address@hidden)

#+TBLFM: @address@hidden = subscr(remote(Data23vert, @I$>address@hidden>), $#)
... results in 24 in each field

(btw, I got the subscr() trick here in the ML but I have to admit
that [1] did not lead to a understanding of it.)

#+TBLFM: @address@hidden = remote(Data23vert, @I$>address@hidden>)
... results in list in each field

#+NAME: Data23horiz
| Descr+ | foo | bar | baz | sum |
|--------+-----+-----+-----+-----|
| Data1+ |  12 |  22 |  16 |  50 |
| Data2+ |  10 |  24 |  17 |  51 |

#+NAME: Calc23horiz-WISH
| Descr   | foo | bar | baz | sum |
|---------+-----+-----+-----+-----|
| Data2   |  10 |  24 |  17 |  51 |
| Double  |  20 |  48 |  34 | 102 |
#+TBLFM: FIXXME

#+NAME: Calc23horiz-TRY
| Descr   | foo          | bar          | baz          | sum |
|---------+--------------+--------------+--------------+-----|
| Data2   | [10, 24, 17] | [10, 24, 17] | [10, 24, 17] |     |
| Double  |              |              |              |     |
#+TBLFM: @address@hidden(Data23horiz, @>$2..@>$4)

#+TBLFM: @address@hidden(remote(Data23horiz, @>$2..@>$4), $#)
... 24, 17, list -> WTF?

#+TBLFM: @address@hidden(Data23horiz, @>$2..@>$4)
... three identical lists instead of values

  1.
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/calc/Extracting-Elements.html
--
mail|git|SVN|photos|postings|SMS|phonecalls|RSS|CSV|XML to Org-mode:

https://github.com/novoid/extract_pdf_annotations_to_orgmode + more on github