Re: [O] using %(sexp) in capture templates

From: Mike McLean
Subject: Re: [O] using %(sexp) in capture templates
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 07:24:23 -0400

On Oct 12, 2013, at 2:03 AM, Manish <address@hidden> wrote:

 >> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Mike McLean wrote:
  >>
  >>   > On Oct 10, 2013, at 9:51 PM, Manish wrote:
  >>   >
  >>   > i am trying to use %(org-mac-outlook-message-insert-selected)
  >>   > in a capture template to create a todo entry from an email
  >>   > selected in outlook on mac os x.  i was expecting that the
  >>   > function will get executed when the template is called and
  >>   > enter a link to the email but seems to return nothing.  the
  >>   > function works when used outside of template.  any ideas how i
  >>   > can begin to debug this or if i should be doing anything
  >>   > differently?
  >>   >
  >>
  >> When I added the support for Outlook I matched the style and design
  >> of the existing Org mac message (for Mail). In particular
  >> org-mac-outlook-message-insert-selected does not return a value, it
  >> is designed to be called interactively and inserts a link at the
  >> current point in the current buffer. As such it would not work as a
  >> %() capture template.
  >>
  >> Now on the other hand all org-mac-outlook-message-insert-selected
  >> does is ~(insert (org-mac-outlook-message-get-links "s"))~. I
  >> presume (though I haven't tested) that you could use the inner form
  >> ~(org-mac-outlook-message-get-links "s")~ in a %() sexp in a
  >> capture template.

thanks!  it does work this way.

i am not sure if it's directly related but there's a weird issue.  once
i have a link to an email, i can open it by c-c c-o only once.  any
following attempt just fails with a message: "org-mac-link: error could
not find outlook message <msgid>" where msgid is the id of the
message. when i ran the mdfind command that i found in the source in the
terminal, it again worked once only.  any subsequent attempt opens a
finder window.  very very odd behavior since i am not even modifying the
email in anyway (other than just opening it) that might change its
message id or something.

It has definitely worked for the same message multiple times for me (even after changing a message by moving it, etc.). Since the Org mac Outlook interface uses Spotlight indexing, and Spotlight uses the loose messages in the Microsoft User Data folder, maybe rebuilding one or both of the Outlook profile or the Spotlight index would fix your issues?