Re: [O] Run commands after html export #orgmode

From: Iannis Zannos
Subject: Re: [O] Run commands after html export #orgmode
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 15:19:19 +0300

Hello Jarmo,

it may be useful to look into the publishing scheme of org-mode.
Export = export a single file
Publish = publish a set of files. More extensive configuration capabilities. Can also be used to publish single file.

Publish provides very extensive configuration capabilities, which include a preparation-function and a completion-function hook. The completion function can be used to ftp or rsync or otherwise copy data to the target directory. Have a look at:

http://orgmode.org/worg/doc.html search for: org-publish-project-alist. In that section you will find following passage:

  `:publishing-function'

    Function to publish file.  Each back-end may define its
    own (i.e. `org-latex-publish-to-pdf',
    `org-html-publish-to-html').  May be a list of functions, in
    which case each function in the list is invoked in turn.

Another property allows you to insert code that prepares
a project for publishing.  For example, you could call GNU Make
on a certain makefile, to ensure published files are built up to
date.

  `:preparation-function'

    Function to be called before publishing this project.  This
    may also be a list of functions.

  `:completion-function'

    Function to be called after publishing this project.  This
    may also be a list of functions.

You will find more info in the orgmode manual here:
http://orgmode.org/manual/Configuration.html#Configuration
and here:
http://orgmode.org/manual/Sources-and-destinations.html#Sources-and-destinations
and in further related parts linked-to from the above.

Hopefully the above is useful.

Best,
Iannis Zannos

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 2:11 PM, Jarmo Hurri <address@hidden> wrote:

Answering my own question...

> What I would like to do now is to automatically run some commands
> after I have exported an org file as html.

I ended up circumventing the problem - that is, the exporter - by
creating a code block in which I first run org-html-export-to-html and
then do my git stuff. I no longer use the exporter, I just evaluate the
block.

Lesson learned.

Jarmo