Re: [O] C-S-up and C-S-down throws an error

From: Andreas Leha
Subject: Re: [O] C-S-up and C-S-down throws an error
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2013 14:01:26 +0200

Hi Oleh,

really great timing!  I was just hit by this as well and along comes
your message.

Oleh <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Pressing these key-chords just gives:
>
> user-error: To use shift-selection with Org-mode, customize
> `org-support-shift-select'
>
> I don't think that it's very productive to occupy a key binding with a
> function that
> just says to me that I made an error. Or is it an advertisement for
> shift-selection:)?

I agree here.

> I've got global windmove bindings on C- arrows, and buffer-move on
> C-S- arrows,
> so now I have to set specifically:
>
> (define-key org-mode-map [(control shift right)] nil)
> (define-key org-mode-map [(control shift left)] nil)
> (define-key org-mode-map [(control shift up)] nil)
> (define-key org-mode-map [(control shift down)] nil)

Thanks for sharing that.  I am using that right now as well.

> I don't feel bad about the other two bindings, because they were
> actually doing something
> useful, but these two...
>
> I think a way out of this is either enabling
> `org-support-shift-select' by default,
> or not to bind these key chords. But that's just my opinion.

Since it can be circumvented quiet easily I do not have a (too) strong
aversion against these binding any more.   But I agree that these
binding are useless and, thus, should not be set by default.

Regards,
Andreas