Re: [O] Drag images from Firefox to org-mode

From: Nicolas Richard
Subject: Re: [O] Drag images from Firefox to org-mode
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 16:48:40 +0200

Rick Frankel <address@hidden> writes:
> On 2013-10-17 08:43, Nicolas Richard wrote:
>> Carsten Dominik <address@hidden> writes:
>> does anyone know how general this code is?  Does it works on
>> different operating systems?
>> We might want to include this into the Org core.
>>
>> Since it is based on dnd, and since the documentation of dnd reads:
>> ;; This file provides the generic handling of the drop part only.
>> ;; Different DND backends (X11, W32, etc.) that handle the platform
>> ;; specific DND parts call the functions here to do final delivery of
>> ;; a drop.
>> I'd highly suspect that the code is portable.
>
> It does make use of `wget', which may not be avalalable on all systems
> (e.g., i believe os x only includes `curl' by default.) So it would
> need to allow configuration of the image fetch command.

I'm sorry I missed that. Indeed, on the one "OS X" I ever tried to run
wget on, it didn't have wget.

Perhaps url-retrieve can be used instead. I have no time right now to
code it right, but here's a (synchronous) example with url + filetype +
filename all hardcoded :

(with-current-buffer
    (url-retrieve-synchronously
     "http://www.cnrtl.fr/images/css/bandeau.jpg";)
  (delete-region
   (point-min)
   (progn
     (re-search-forward "^$" nil 'move)
     (point)))
  (write-file
   (expand-file-name "~/tmp/foobar.jpg"))
  (pop-to-buffer
   (current-buffer)))

using url-retrieve (which is asynchroneous)  might also lift the
requirement on async.el

--
Nico.