[O] make doc fails at PDF: "pdftex exited with bad status"

From: Alan E. Davis
Subject: [O] make doc fails at PDF: "pdftex exited with bad status"
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 09:17:01 -0700

On my Archlinux box with up to date texlive, and a newly cloned org-mode installation, "make doc" fails with the following messages:

Output written on org.pdf (257 pages, 974386 bytes).
Transcript written on org.log.
/usr/bin/texi2dvi: pdftex exited with bad status, quitting.
make[1]: *** [org.pdf] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/doc/WB/Elisp/org-mode.git/doc'
make: *** [pdf] Error 2

This is a recent happening, within approxiately 2 to 3 weeks.  I downgraded emacs (also relevant to another recent problem), and re-cloned the git repo.

Should I run text2pdf on org.texi, in the doc/ directory, the pdf file is generated cleanly.   I assume there is an issue in doc/Makefile.

One suspects this issue may involve a recent update of the texlive packages on this system.  In doc/Makefile, is a workaround due to a bug in texi2dvi.  When I deleted the two lines from doc/Makefile, the same issue seems to exist, but making of org.pdf is skipped, since it already exists: the failure is for orgguide.pdf, in this case.

I do not understand makefiles well enough to go any further with this.

Alan Davis