Re: [O] trying to write a guidebook for students using org , need help w

From: Xebar Saram
Subject: Re: [O] trying to write a guidebook for students using org , need help with formating
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 16:53:53 +0200

Thank you all

ill try the Latex list suggestion over the weekend as i have Zero Latex knowledge so ill try to dig into it a bit

Best

z.

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 1:43 PM, Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello Xebar,

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 01:37:31PM +0800, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
> Xebar Saram <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Thanks again guys
> >
> > Rick: "But a better approach would be to define your own latex list
> > environment for
> > program steps and use lists:"
> >
> > ive never used latex, do you mind expanding on that a bit?
> >
> > Eric: "I don't think it's cut, is it? I just tried with your example
> > and long
> > lines are preserved as-is (ie, quite long)"
> > this is how it looks in my pdf export:
> >
> > https://paste.xinu.at/sYsMVz/
>
> Oh I see -- it's latex that cuts those lines off, not the org exporter.
> You'll probably want to go the list route then. See this link for how to
> create a custom list environment:
>
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/lyx/ownlists.htm
>
> Then do this in org, replacing "bogus" with the name of your new environment:
>
> #+ATTR_LATEX: :environment bogus
> - this is a
> - list with some
> - items in it

I guess you missed my response.  I suggested this a couple of days back.
Sadly I was in a hurry and could not provide precise instructions.  You
can achieve this using the enumitem package with the noitemsep option[1].

So inside Org all you need to do is add the following to the file header:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage{enumitem}

If you want this behaviour for all lists add the following:

#+LATEX_HEADER: \setlist{nolistsep}

If you only want to do this for a particular kind of list (say,
enumerate) add the following line instead:

\setenumerate{noitemsep}

To control this per-list you can do:

#+attr_latex: :options noitemsep
- Step 1
- Step 2
- Step 3

For more info on other options, see the documentation for enumitem
(`texdoc enumitem' or <http://ctan.org/pkg/enumitem>).

Hope this helps,

Footnotes:

[1] See this TeX.SX question for more details:
    <http://TeX.stackexchange.com/q/10684>.

--
Suvayu