Re: [O] [RFC] Slight change to asynchronous export

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Slight change to asynchronous export
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 09:46:14 +0100

Hello Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> At the moment, by default, external emacs process for asynchronous
> export is called with:
>
>   /path/to/emacs -Q --batch -l org-export-async-init-file ... export stuff...
>
> where `org-export-async-init-file' defaults to `user-init-file'. It is,
> by default, not the same as calling "emacs", because of the "-Q".
>
> I suggest allowing a nil (default) value for
> `org-export-async-init-file'. In that case, the command will become:
>
>   /path/to/emacs --batch ... export stuff...
>
> If it is a file, it will be the same as before.
>
> WDYT?

IIUC, the default `user-init-file' still gets read because you drop the `-Q'
option. And you allow adding a supplementary configuration file for the export
process.

Right?

The only drawback would be for people having a long .emacs config file (which
takes a long time to load): they would experience a longer running time for the
async export, but it's async, so they wouldn't mind much.

That seems good to me.

BTW, is there no possibility of doing the same with emacsclient (but with no
visible buffer)?  That'd drop the startup time of Emacs. But, once again,
that's not a problem per se, as it's async. It's for my own understanding.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban