Re: [O] how to handle svg files when exporting orgmode to html and pdf?

From: Cook, Malcolm
Subject: Re: [O] how to handle svg files when exporting orgmode to html and pdf?
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2013 22:02:16 +0000

Hi Aaron,

>> Can I re-open this thread to discuss two new issues I now experience with
>> emacs 24.3.1 and orgmode version 8.2.1 in the handling of
 >svg => tex => pdf ?
 >>
 >> Here goes:
 >>
 >> 1) If the plot has text in it which contains a percent character (%),
 >> then we fail due to https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/857231
 >
 >It sounds from
 ><https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/719320/comments/3> as though
 >inkscape makes a deliberate effort to support LaTeX markup in their
 >pdf+latex output.  So it’s not surprising that % is a problem.
 >
>It’s unfortunate from the perspective of having a single SVG file that
 >works in both HTML and LaTeX, but I don’t know if that is an argument
 >that will cut ice with them.  I don’t know what org can/should do to
 >patch around inkscape’s design decisions.

Indeed!  So, I made a suggestion to 'fix' (?) Inkscape here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/inkscape/+bug/719320

Let's see if I get any traction on that!

 >Certainly the svg LaTeX package could be patched to use inkscape’s pdf
 >export, instead of the pdf+latex one.  This would lose the nice fonts
 >that running the text through latex nets you, but get rid of the %
 >annoyances.
 >

 >> 2) If the :file is in a sub-directory  (for example, `:file
 >> fig/mtcars.svg`), even though both ./fig/mtcars.pdf_tex  and
 >> ./fig/mtcars.pdf are created, the reference to the .pdf in the
 >> .pdf_tex  is not interpreted relative to the subdirectory, but rather
 >> to the parent, and so the .pdf is not found.
 >
 >Have you looked at the \graphicspath macro from the graphics package?
 ><http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=graphicspath>.  You may
 >be able to get things to work by adding \graphicspath{{fig/}} (note the
 >double braces) to your document.  \setsvg{svgpath=fig/} from the svg
 >package may also/additionally be needed.

Excellent!  Adding to the top of my emacs .org file the following allowed it to
work.

#+LATEX_HEADER: \graphicspath{{fig/}}

Much better workaround.  But still a workaround?

~ Malcolm