Re: [O] org-writers-room sort of works! just in time for NaNoWriMo

From: Matt Price
Subject: Re: [O] org-writers-room sort of works! just in time for NaNoWriMo
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 04:54:42 -0500

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> wrote:
> Matt Price <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi Matt,
>
>> Hi Thorsten,
>>
>> Wow, navi-mode really is incredibly cool.
>
> thanks. why not write this on the mailing list - a bit of publicity
> can't hurt ;)

oh shoot, sorry!  my mistake!

> [...]
>> that doesn't seem to be the case. On further investigation, something
>> very strange is going on; the buffers work fine when I close and then
>> reopen them, but anything that has been open for a long time seems to
>> fail to load navi-mode. Have you seen anything like this before?
>
> not really, but I have a very useful command
>
> ,----------------------------------------------------------------
> | nuke-and-eval is an interactive Lisp function in `nukneval.el'.
> |
> | (nuke-and-eval)
> |
> | Attempt to cleanly reevaluate a buffer of elisp code.
> `----------------------------------------------------------------
>
> and when I do this in an outshine buffer, things get messed up sometimes
>
>> When I run (navi-search-and-switch) in ny test files, I get en error.
>> The issue seems to be (I think!) on line 1247 of navi.el, where
>> "split-string" is passed "headline-string"; but for some reason
>> headline-string is nil.  Reading the code, I do not see immediately
>> what the problem could be, but I suspect that some variable has been
>> set by *something* I do in the course of my daily work, and doesn't
>> get reset properly.  If you have an idea I'd really appreciate it!
>
> I bet C-h v outline-promotion-headings is nil when you do it in your
> org-mode test file, it should be:
>
> ,------------------------------------------------------------------------
> | outline-promotion-headings is a variable defined in `outshine.el'.
> | Its value is shown below.
> |
> |   Automatically becomes buffer-local when set.
> |
> | Documentation:
> | A sorted list of headings used for promotion/demotion commands.
> | Set this to a list of headings as they are matched by `outline-regexp',
> | top-level heading first.  If a mode or document needs several sets of
> | outline headings (for example numbered and unnumbered sections), list
> | them set by set, separated by a nil element.  See the example for
> | `texinfo-mode' in the file commentary.
> |
> | For more information check the manuals.
> |

> | Value:
> |  (("* " . 1)
> |  ("** " . 2)
> |  ("*** " . 3)
> |  ("**** " . 4)
> |  ("***** " . 5)
> |  ("****** " . 6)
> |  ("******* " . 7)
> |  ("******** " . 8))
> |
> | Local in buffer `tmp5.org'; global value is nil
> `------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> I think this is all related to Emacs internals and loading, if you make
> sure outshine-mode is installed properly, especially with this line:
>
> ,------------------------------------------------------------
> | (add-hook 'outline-minor-mode-hook 'outshine-hook-function)
> `------------------------------------------------------------
>
> thinks should work. Maybe you should just restart your Emacs with the
> lines for installing outshine/outorg/navi in you init file and see if
> it works then? Otherwise reverting a buffer (M-x revert-buffer) might

Yes, this is the problem of course.  I just copy-pasted the setup code
into my .emacs without looking at it  Foolish!
Busy today and likely tomorrow but I'm going to try to rewrite
writers-room as an extension of navi-mode.  The navi-mode buffer is so
much superior to my navigation guide, I don't see how I can use mine
anymore...

Thanks!
mtt