[O] #+LATEX before first heading getting ignored LaTeX output

From: Rob Stewart
Subject: [O] #+LATEX before first heading getting ignored LaTeX output
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 23:54:14 +0000

I am experiencing a problem in org-mode whereby a #+LATEX block before
the first heading is being ignored in the generated LaTeX. Below is a
simple example, first without export the Introduction header with
:noexport: , and then with. I realise I could use #+BEGIN_abstract ,
but this is not about abstracts.. I have lots of #+LATEX lines in a
more realistic example, i.e. acknowledgements, dedication etc.

%%%%%%%%%
#+LaTeX_CLASS: article

#+TITLE: My Title
#+AUTHOR: Joe Bloggs

#+LATEX: \begin{abstract}
This is my abstract.
#+LATEX: \end{abstract}

#+TOC: headlines 2

* Introduction                                                       :noexport:

Hello.
%%%%%%%%%

Exporting this gives:

%%%%%%%%%
% Created 2013-11-27 Wed 23:47
\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\author{Joe Bloggs}
\date{\today}
\title{My Title}
\hypersetup{
  pdfkeywords={},
  pdfsubject={},
  pdfcreator={Emacs 24.3.1 (Org mode 8.2.3c)}}
\begin{document}

\maketitle
\tableofcontents

\begin{abstract}
This is my abstract.
\end{abstract}

\setcounter{tocdepth}{2}
\tableofcontents
% Emacs 24.3.1 (Org mode 8.2.3c)
\end{document}
%%%%%%%%%

However, if I switch the tag for the `Introduction` heading to
:export: , the generated LaTeX is:

%%%%%%%%%
% Created 2013-11-27 Wed 23:48
\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\author{Joe Bloggs}
\date{\today}
\title{My Title}
\hypersetup{
  pdfkeywords={},
  pdfsubject={},
  pdfcreator={Emacs 24.3.1 (Org mode 8.2.3c)}}
\begin{document}

\maketitle
\tableofcontents

\section{Introduction}
\label{sec-1}

Hello.
% Emacs 24.3.1 (Org mode 8.2.3c)
\end{document}
%%%%%%%%%

Why has my \begin{abstract} .. \end{abstract} disappeared? As you can
see, I'm runing org-mode 8.2.3c, from HEAD from the git repo.