Re: [O] Opening an Org file slowed down

From: Michael Brand
Subject: Re: [O] Opening an Org file slowed down
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2013 18:37:19 +0100

Hi Achim

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 11:06 PM, Achim Gratz <address@hidden> wrote:
> I've had a brief look at this.  It seems that some of the differences
> are due to elp instrumenting a much larger range of functions when
> org-mode has already initialized vs. when only org-version had been
> called.

Thank you for pointing this out. So I judged wrongly before when the
roughly squared call counters were missing due to the sometimes
incompletely instrumented Org. Sorry, I correct myself below.

> Another difference is that when org-mode gets initialized
> before, org-startup-folded is true, which introduces another slight
> difference.
>
> lisp/org-mode> time emacs --batch -Q -L lisp -l
> testing/org-batch-test-init.el -l org-loaddefs 400.org
> 3.748u 0.096s 0:04.22 90.7%
> lisp/org-mode> time emacs --batch -Q -L lisp -l
> testing/org-batch-test-init.el -l org-loaddefs 800.org
> 13.880u 0.068s 0:14.47 96.3%
> lisp/org-mode> time emacs --batch -Q -L lisp -l
> testing/org-batch-test-init.el -l org-loaddefs -f org-version 400.org
> 3.764u 0.072s 0:04.08 93.8%
> lisp/org-mode> time emacs --batch -Q -L lisp -l
> testing/org-batch-test-init.el -l org-loaddefs -f org-version 800.org
> 13.956u 0.072s 0:14.51 96.6%
> lisp/org-mode> time emacs --batch -Q -L lisp -l
> testing/org-batch-test-init.el -l org-loaddefs -f org-mode 400.org
> OVERVIEW
> 3.736u 0.092s 0:04.16 91.8%
> lisp/org-mode> time emacs --batch -Q -L lisp -l
> testing/org-batch-test-init.el -l org-loaddefs -f org-mode 800.org
> OVERVIEW
> 13.872u 0.056s 0:14.51 95.9%
>
> Once that is out of the equation, there isn't any difference to speak
> of.

I can confirm: When I re-evaluate, now without elp and by comparing
400.org with 800.org: org-mode and org-version in step #2 of my recipe
are the same, both quadratic. Also "make uncompiled" and "make
compile" are the same, both quadratic.

This means that I can still not get the linear relation expected by
Nicolas Goaziou between the number of elements in an entry and
the processing time.

Michael