Re: [O] probable caching bug?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] probable caching bug?
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 16:47:51 +0100

Hello,

Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:

> While editing a plain list yesterday I noticed what I guess was a bug in
> the caching mechanism.

It looks like it, indeed.

> The list item was wrapped to several lines, and I noticed that calling
> C-e while on the last line gave me "wrong-type-argument
> integer-or-marker-p nil". Trying to fill the item with M-q gave me
> "user-error: An element cannot be parsed line 635".

[...]

Unfortunately, the source of the cache corruption may be totally
unrelated to the action triggering the error. Thus, cache bugs are quite
hard to reproduce. When hunting down one of them, I usually call the
following function after each non-trivial buffer modification.

  (defun ngz-random-test (&optional n contextp)
    (save-excursion
      (dotimes (k (or n 100))
        (goto-char (1+ (random (point-max))))
        (let ((real-element (let (org-element-use-cache)
                              (if contextp (org-element-context)
                                (org-element-at-point)))))
          (or (equal real-element
                     (if contextp (org-element-context) (org-element-at-point)))
              (message "`%s' at %d is corrupted."
                       (org-element-type real-element)
                       (org-element-property :begin real-element)))))))

BTW, is your Org recent? I fixed a similar problem (i.e. cache
corruption in lists) about two weeks ago in commit
4466af5c115b56377d7251e848860dc03212c583.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou