Re: [O] [Bug] commit 39070b7fc7 breaks babel test

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [Bug] commit 39070b7fc7 breaks babel test
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 19:27:22 -0700

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Schulte writes:
>> Fixed.
>
> The test was trying to ascertain that an inline babel codeblock didn't
> force a newline at the end.

What makes this code block inline?

> You've just made it test that there is a trailing newline introduced
> by the inline babel call, which is clearly against its intent.  You
> could have marked it as a known fail if you were planning to have this
> as a transitory failure only.  I can't find the discussion that led to
> the former implementation at the moment, but I'm fairly certain that
> there was a bug report against trailing newlines from inline babel
> calls.  So what is the rationale of re-introducing the trailing
> newline this time around?

This test (test-ob/catches-all-references) is from commit c21692506d8,
which doesn't have anything to do with newlines (judging from the commit
message).

To me the more natural behavior is to include the newline in the
expansion.  Maybe we have discussed this before on list, and decided
stripping the newline was preferable, but I don't recall that
discussion.

Just because behavior ends up being encoded in a test doesn't
necessarily mean the behavior is correct.  I think as test suites
attempt to protect the desired behavior they often end up also
protecting incidental behavior of the implementation at the time the
test was written.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte