Re: [O] Exams with Org?

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: [O] Exams with Org?
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2013 23:00:57 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> Hello,
>
> Has anyone used Org to create exams?  It would be useful to have the
> value per question totalled to provide the total per section etc and to
> be able to embed the answers in the exam and expose them in the final
> document using some kind of conditional processing.
>
> If anyone has done this kind of thing I'd be interested to see an
> example file.

I've done part of it (not the value of the questions, but including the
answers in the source). For an exam I gave last year on the OCaml
language, I put the solution for the code questions in the source, and
use it to generate the expected type of the function. (This way I could
also make sure I was not asking to code something too difficult.)

Here is part of the exam (sorry, it's in French, but it should give you
the general idea). I also include the beginning of the file since I've
found that more examples about how to set things up always helps.

There are two kinds of code blocks below: those with results "silent"
are just used to add some things to the session (OCaml works by default
with a session in org), those with results "verbatim" export the
result of evaluating of the source, which is what the toplevel answers
(i.e., the type).

# -*- org-confirm-babel-evaluate: nil -*-
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results silent :exports none
  (setq org-export-latex-minted-options
        '(("frame" "lines")
          ))
  (add-to-list
   'org-structure-template-alist
   '("Q" "#+BEGIN_question\n?\n#+END_question" "<question>\n?\n</question>"))
#+end_src
#+TITLE:     Programmation Fonctionnelle
#+DATE:      jeudi 6 juin 2013