Re: [O] text-only plots

From: Thierry Banel
Subject: Re: [O] text-only plots
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2013 22:48:22 +0000 (UTC)

Ivan Andrus <darthandrus <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Dec 9, 2013, at 5:19 AM, Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux <at> gmail.com>
wrote:
> > Technically speaking, it is not exported as a table since you put it as
> > part of example block.  However a quick test tells me, html export will
> > work fine (screenshot attached).  However LaTeX export is an entirely
> > different story.  Unicode support in normal pdflatex is quite
> > non-trivial.  If you use XeLaTeX, I think you could get it to work with
> > some appropriate choice of fonts.  I tried libertine and dejavu without
> > any luck.
>
> Would it be possible to export it to \rule when using LaTeX?  It wouldn't
be text then and you couldn't copy it,
> but it should work with any TeX engine regardless of fonts etc.  Just a
thought.

> -Ivan

Right, Suvayu, Unicodes are not universally supported.
So, what about coming back to basics ?
Just Ascii like that:

|  x |    sin(x/4) | Ascii        |
|----+-------------+--------------|
|  0 |           0 | WWWWWh       |
|  1 |  0.32719470 | WWWWWWWV     |
|  2 |  0.61836980 | WWWWWWWWWl   |
|  3 |  0.84147098 | WWWWWWWWWWW  |
|  4 |  0.97193790 | WWWWWWWWWWWV |
|  5 |  0.99540796 | WWWWWWWWWWWW |
|  6 |  0.90929743 | WWWWWWWWWWW; |
|  7 |  0.72308588 | WWWWWWWWWW-  |
|  8 |  0.45727263 | WWWWWWWWl    |
|  9 |  0.14112001 | WWWWWWl      |
| 10 | -0.19056796 | WWWWl        |
| 11 | -0.50127705 | WWl          |
| 12 | -0.75680250 | W            |
#+TBLFM: $3='(orgtbl-ascii-draw $2 -0.9290145 0.99540796 12)

We remove Unicodes until someone comes with an idea.

Ivan, the LaTex \rule might be a (pretty) solution for the LaTex exporter.
But then we should also take care of all past and future exporters...

Thierry