Re: [O] hyperlink to customize

From: Brady Trainor
Subject: Re: [O] hyperlink to customize
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 05:57:48 +0000 (UTC)

Nick Dokos <ndokos <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Yes, you will be happiest when you are assimilated

:borg:

> > Would be nice to have org versions of all info files.

> [...] why do you

> want to have org versions of all info files? What would the benefits

> be?

>  [...] But rewriting

>        existing texinfo documentation in org just does not seem to

>        provide many (or even any) benefits.

(disclaimer: my naïve impression)

- clarifications

  - maybe not /all/ info files should be converted

    - elisp and maybe the main Emacs manuals may be considered more pivotal
to all users and all modes

  - maybe only a conversion to outline mode?

    - I don't know if that has the potential for hyperlinks, but may supply
all the info functionality; is outline mode "lighter"?

- drawbacks

  - slow (large elisp info file in org)

  - hard to convert info to org?

- positives

  - another way to look at the info (like a change of coordinates ;) )

    - org's outline mode supplies one less step between browsing the
section titles and reading the content in unfolding, easier to navigate

especially, there is the effect that it may be hard to know where to look
for a possible elisp command, and so the more aids in browsing for that
command, the better.