Re: [O] Should org-narrow-to-subtree be disabled by default?

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] Should org-narrow-to-subtree be disabled by default?
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2014 16:39:11 +0100

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

> Bastien <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> one good way to decide could be to ask people here if they ever
>> accidentally narrowed the view to a subtree -- I never did.
>
> No.  But I know the concept of narrowing, which may be unfamiliar to
> some.  I find narrowing super useful, especially when writing longer
> documents.

I checked narrow-to-defun, and it is not disabled by default, only
narrow-to-region and narrow-to-page, which are both accessible in any
mode.

As org-narrow-to-* functions are only accessible from org-mode buffers
and not that easily called by accident (I haven't seen any report like
this in years), I suggest we stick to the current setup.

>> Also, I tend to think Emacs is on the paranoid side here, I don't
>> think newbies can hit C-x n n accidentally...
>
> Perhaps an easier way to narrow by accident is through
> org-speed-commands-default, i.e. speedkey "s".

Yes, but newbies don't use speed commands without knowing what they
do, do they?

--
 Bastien