Re: [O] gnus: link annoyance

From: François Pinard
Subject: Re: [O] gnus: link annoyance
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 00:14:11 -0500

Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:

> François Pinard <address@hidden> writes:

>> Whenever I visit a "gnus:" type link from Org, it has the side effect of
>> "reading" the article in Gnus parlance, forcing me to "unread" it each
>> time afterwards.

> it's certainly not lost: the link continues to work, even if it points
> to a read article; and visiting the group with C-u <SPACE> in gnus
> also allows you to see previously read articles.

Hi, Nick.

Of course, you are fully right in that the article is still there, and
likely unexpired.  But in practice, from my viewpoint, it is not there
anymore: I do not usually enter groups by C-u SPC.  While possible, it
is unusual that I want to find and read again an article which I once
decided has been read for good.

If I search all mailgroups for a certain string, and randomly check
hits, I do not want these articles I check to later have disappeared
from sight in practice.  I was not really in the process of reading
articles, but merely checking on them.  It would not make sense that Org
removes lines that I visit after a grep, and when grepping through many
files, would they be Org, non-Org, mailboxes or articles in mailgroups,
I am in a mode where I do not expect any kind of altering behaviour.

François