Re: [O] Auto-creating a numbered list from pasted section?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] Auto-creating a numbered list from pasted section?
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2014 10:36:26 +0700

Sharon Kimble <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     Bastien <address@hidden> writes:
>
>         Hi Sharon,
>
>         Sharon Kimble <address@hidden> writes:
>
>             In an org-mode document I can <h which when TABBED gives me
>             #+BEGIN_HTML
>
>             #+END_HTML
>
>             In the same document I have a list of numbered items, actually
> academic
>             references, is it possible using something like <r to have each
> and
>             every one done as part of a numbered list please? It would be so
> much
>             simpler than going through numbering each and every one by hand!
>             I'm not sure what you mean by
>
>             "done as part of a numbered list"
>
>             As for re-numbering items from a numbered list, moving one item
> up and
>             down will renumber
>             the whole list automagically.
>
>             Please give more details if this does not reply your question.
>
>         Also not sure what you mean, but maybe mark all the things you want to
>         be list items, and then use "C-c -" to actually make them list items?
>         Hit that again a few times to cycle through ordered/unordered, etc.
>
>         That's my guess.
>

>     Thanks for this, you'll have to bear with me as I have no
>     Internet access atm due to a fault on the line.
>
>     This is referring to a academic reference list on a medical
>     journal reference list, where the articles are referenced in the
>     body of the article and then all listed at the end in numbered
>     order as they appear in the article.
>
>     What I'm after is some way of auto-numbering a highlighted number
>     of references so that I don't have to number them all by hand.

That still sounds to me like you're creating a numbered list from what
is currently just a series of lines and paragraphs. Or else you're
trying to do what org footnotes do: automatically link the numbering
between the in-text references, and the article list at the end. Maybe
try footnotes?

If this isn't right, maybe show us a simple example of the text you've
got, and what you're hoping to do.

Eric