Re: [O] [poll] Fontify code in code blocks

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] [poll] Fontify code in code blocks
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2014 10:48:20 +0100

Hello,

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> Oh, maybe I see.  You want highlighting in #+BEGIN_LaTeX
> and #+BEGIN_HTML.
>
> Actually it makes sense.
>
> So that #+BEGIN_HTML would really be short for #+BEGIN_SRC html-mode
> but with no need for header vars and all the plumbing.
>
> Nicolas, what do you think?

I don't think it's a good idea.

#+begin_html is /very/ different from #+begin_src html-mode. The former
is raw html code that will be inserted in the output upon exporting. The
latter is handled by Babel and is not an export-only feature (more often
than not, it will not appear in the export output). Fontifying both the
same way could introduce confusion between them.

Additionally, some export back-ends allow multiple export block names
(e.g. #+begin_markdown and #+begin_md), which could add to the
confusion. And export one-liners, e.g. "#+HTML:" would probably need to
be also fontified since they really are a shorthand for
"#+begin_html...#+end_html". Too much trouble, IMO.

> Would it be okay to enable syntax highlighting in #+BEGIN_{HTML,...}
> blocks?

It is possible to get syntax highlighting with C-c ' on such blocks.
FWIW, I think this is enough.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou