Re: [O] How to write medical journal articles with org-mode

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] How to write medical journal articles with org-mode
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 15:58:55 +0530

regcl <address@hidden> writes:

> I am looking for advice regarding how to write medical journal
> articles using org-mode.
>
> My primary motivations are the desire to ... automate the flow of data
> from computation to publication, avoid clerical errors, speed up the
> conversion of computational results to manuscript, and do 99.9% of my
> typing in emacs ;)
>
> My primary computation platform is linux clusters with OS X desktops.
> I have used org-mode for project management and HTML export of
> provisional computational results in working papers for ~1 year.
>
> I recently started using org-mode/babel/ESS/R to export computation
> results to HTML.
>
> It looks like the medical journals require MS word submissions.  I
> have used the scheme shown below to get MSword to/from my
> collaborators for comments & corrections ...
>
> doc.org----------------------------------+
> |                                        |
> v                                        |
> M-x org-odt-export-to-odt                |
> |                                        |
> v                                        |
> Open office                              |
> |                                        |
> v                                        |
> MS Word                                  |
> |                                        |
> v                                        |
> doc.docx                                 |
> |                                        |
> v                                        |

You can do it in a single step with
`org-odt-preferred-output-format'. See

    (info "(org) Extending ODT export").

> 1) Has anyone out there used org-mode to produce medical journal
> articles (other than demonstration of reproducible research)?

> 3) How do I get references into MS word?

You can use ODT Export with JabRef using ox-jabref.el.  You may want to
check whether the JabRef project has layout files that can create
citations in a format acceptable to Medical Journals.  (Search the list
reverse chronologically.)