Re: [O] [bug][ox-latex] Captions in equations

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] [bug][ox-latex] Captions in equations
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 11:41:44 +0100

Hi Vladimir,

Vladimir Lomov <address@hidden> writes:

>>> IMHO, this is wrong approach.
>> I don't understand.
> As I said, this is IMHO.

I just didn't understand that sentence.  I was not disputing your
opinion.

>>> I would consider this example as a special way to generate a matrix
>>> when exporting to LaTeX, then CAPTION is useless here. Also, HTML
>>> export will give differently looking result.
>
>> But it shouldn't.  It should produce a matrix as well, e.g. via
>> MathJax.
>
> At first, I wanted to write the following:
>
>   And would will be if one doesn't use MathJax? For example, I prefer to
>   use dvipng to generate PNG images (there are several reasons for
>   this).  So, basically, this is a special case, and an user evidently
>   knows about this.

Hence the "e.g.".

> But then I tried to export this example document to HTML with MathJax
> and it fails. Consider these two examples: 'ex-tbl.org' and
> 'ex-tbl2.org' (attached to the message). After exporting first to html I
> get 'ex-tbl.html' without MathJax, the second has MathJax but only for
> formula. As I expected, problem occurs only for LaTeX export, due to a
> bit weird combination.

Sure.  HTML currently does not understand "matrix-tables".  I'm pretty
sure you know the following already: but what Org does, when making
math-pngs for HTML, is to generate tex files that are processed with
dvipng (as far as I remember).  Since a while ago amsmath is a default
package in Org so a ox-html solution would also be able to work with
png files.  The patch that I posted somewhere else isn't tested with
pngs yet, but it will be.

> I'm not a mathematician but I read many books on mathematics and
> theoretical physics (I'm a physicist) and don't remember examples of use
> an equation with a caption. Equation enclosed into a frame, yes, I see
> and use that, numbered or tagged equations, even placed into a float
> (though didn't try yet).

I have seen framed boxes some times, and even floats, but never
caption.  I never attested to the usefulness of equation-captions.
Though, I'm sure you would agree that Org should produce valid TeX
files.

> Again, this was my IMHO. And I can't imagine situation when I would need
> a caption for equation, because there are other ways to emphasize an
> equation. What I see from this special example is how it is convenient
> to create a matrix for "math mode" in Org document.

It is indeed a great way to type matrices.  Nicholas implemented is a
while ago.

–Rasmus

--
⠠⠵