Re: [O] [RFC] Move ox-koma-letter into core?

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Move ox-koma-letter into core?
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 19:50:09 -0700

>> My suggestion is to get rid of the contrib/ directory and to have
>> a separate Git repository with libraries available from Org ELPA.

If I understand correctly you are suggesting two thing.

1. We remove the contrib/ directory, and host the contributed packages
   in a single new org-contrib (or somesuch) repository.

2. We begin packaging each contrib/ file as a separate ELPA package.
   This would entail;

   a. Enhancing the functionality of the existing Org-mode elpa site [1]
      to host these new packages, and possibly to provide some nicer
      package list or sort/search functionality.

   b. Adding some sort of automated (e.g., Makefile) support to extract
      these package from either the existing org-mode or a new
      org-contrib repository.

   c. Possibly pulling package metadata (e.g., license, author,
      requirements, keywords, summary, etc...) automatically from the
      contrib source files in the manner of MELPA [2] and Marmalade [3].

I believe these two suggestions could be implemented independently from
each other and I do not see why they need by related.

My thoughts on them are as follows.

1. I don't like this suggestion because;

   - I like having all contributed packages easily at hand, and I like
     that most people I talk to on this list also have contrib packages
     readily at hand.

   - It provides a way for Org-mode to "endorse" third party packages,
     and it serves as a useful incubator for functionality which is
     headed for the core but may need wider testing (e.g., code block
     support and the new exporter framework).

2. I think this suggestion could be nice, although depending on how it
   is done it risks both being a large amount of work and duplicating
   the already duplicated functionality of MELPA and marmalade (I'm
   specifically thinking of automated metadata extraction here).

I hope this is constructive.  Best,

Footnotes:
[1]  http://orgmode.org/elpa/

[2]  http://melpa.milkbox.net/