Re: [O] org-mode + icicles, avoid key binding redefinitions?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: Re: [O] org-mode + icicles, avoid key binding redefinitions?
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 07:33:56 -0800 (PST)

> I have an additional question: where does one ask for help about icicle?

1. `M-x icicle-send-bug-report' or menu Icicles > Send Icicles Bug Report
or `M-x customize-group Icicles' > click Send Bug Report

2. Emacs Wiki:

 Bugs:
 http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/IciclesIssues

 Suggestions:
 http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/IciclesDiscussion

3. Email (see file headers).

> I don't know how to make it work with bbdb, and searching online
> didn't clarify things.

I don't use BBDB.  I've heard that they changed it a lot recently,
so the Icicles code for it (command `icicle-bbdb-complete-mail')
might need to be updated.  For that, it would be good to get some
info and perhaps some testing from a BBDB user.  If you would like
to volunteer in that regard, drop me a line.

Icicles works with older BBDB versions, at least.  The last change
I made to the Icicles BBDB command was a year ago, for BBDB version
3.02.

If you have a newer BBDB version than 3.02 and it is problematic with
Icicles, you can just remove `bbdb-complete-mail' or `bbdb-complete-name'
from the value of user option `icicle-functions-to-redefine'
(`M-x customize-option').  That will give you back the vanilla BBDB
command, instead of an Icicles version.

But if you have BBDB 3.02 or 2.35 then you should not have a problem.
The doc for Icicles + BBDB is here:
http://www.emacswiki.org/Icicles_-_Completion_in_Other_Buffers#BbdbCompletion

An extract:

  If user option `icicle-functions-to-redefine' contains an entry for
  'bbdb-complete-mail' (for BBDB version 3.02) or 'bbdb-complete-name'
  (for BBDB version 2.35), then Icicles redefines that command so that
  it uses Icicles completion when there are multiple completions.

  You can use any Icicles features, such as apropos completion and
  candidate cycling.  For this feature to take effect, you must load
  BBDB before you load Icicles.  Option 'icicle-functions-to-redefine'
  includes entries for both 'bbdb-complete-mail' and 'bbdb-complete-name'
  by default.

HTH.