Re: [O] org-mode + icicles, avoid key binding redefinitions?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: Re: [O] org-mode + icicles, avoid key binding redefinitions?
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 08:28:59 -0800 (PST)

> > No major mode should do so.
>
> One problem is that Org uses C-c . too ... and some more.
>
> Perhaps it's better to report this as an Emacs bug so that we can
> discuss the issue with Emacs maintainers and see what's really at
> stake here.

I'm not familiar with Org mode.  As I said, I don't even know
whether it binds such keys in a minor mode (which is fine) or
in a major mode (which is not).

Since you are familiar with whatever bindings Org sets, and you
have read the key-binding conventions section of the manual,
please file a bug if you think it is appropriate.  You are well
placed to give the details.

(FWIW, I seem to recall that I pointed this out to you a few
years back.)

There is a specific list of keys reserved for users, and another
list of keys reserved for minor modes.  If a major mode is using
keys from either of these lists then that should be fixed.

> For me, the keybindings are already too deeply in my
> memory to consider removing them -- but perhaps that's me.

Consideration of whether to fix bugs should not be based on
your habits or memory.  (I am not claiming there is an Org bug
here - I don't know.  That's for you to judge.)