Re: [O] Feature Request: Allow Tangling Named INCLUDEs

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] Feature Request: Allow Tangling Named INCLUDEs
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 10:26:55 +0100

On 01/27/14, 01:44 , Nick Daly wrote:
> Hi Bastien,
>
>> Nick Daly wrote:
>>
>>> Hi folks, I have a situation where I have many named code
>>> snippets currently available in external files, and would like
>>> to tangle them into an Org mode file.
>
> Bastien writes:
>> I'm not the one who would undertake this, so my opinion on this
>> should not matter much... but I think #+INCLUDE is well suited
>> for exporting, not for tangling.  I'm not able to say why, this
>> is just an intuition.
>
> It seems to me like it's trying to unify exporting and tangling:
> this emphasizes that tangling is just another (very specific
> plain-text) form of exporting.

I agree here - I also see tangling as just a different export backend.

I must say I like the idea of having #+INCLUDE expanded before export,
as it would make using code libraries much easier. But one could even
go one step further: not only include the complete file, but only a
named source block - that would be perfect.

Just wondering - wouldn't it be possible, to just put the function
org-export-expand-include-keyword into the pre-tangle-hook?

Cheers,

Rainer

> Using Eric's function for exporting allows me to remove lots of
> boilerplate code from the source org file and keep the org source
> better focused on the code's function and structure.
>
> Sure it's weird, but it sure is handy.
>
> Nick

- --
Biology, UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)