Re: [O] Proposal/request for input: slidify export for html slides

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Proposal/request for input: slidify export for html slides
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 22:26:16 -0600

On Jan 29, 2014 7:46 PM, "Rick Frankel" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 12:57:46AM +0000, Ahmadou Dicko wrote:
> >    I love slidify too and I think that having similar functionnality in org
> >    could be great.
> >    I think that you have everything to do that using the html backend, you
> >    just need to interface the right _javascript_/HTML5 library.
> >    In slidify you can use io2012, deck.js, shower and landslide and I know
> >    that you can use deck.js through ox-deck and it will not be difficult to
> >    create and interface for other library too.
> >    For example if you need a nice non Beamer library you can also check
> >    ox-reveal which interface reveal.js.
>
> Just to follow-up and expand. It looks like slidy is an interface for
> Rstudio to a number of html slide (_javascript_) libraries, and uses
> markdown as it markup language, while providing the ability to execute
> R code interspersed with the markup (literate programming/reproducable
> results)
>
> Org is it's own markup language and allow interspersing executable
> code (and its output) in a literate, reproducable way
> (babel). Including, but not limited to, R.
>
> In addion org has export interfaces to multiple output types. For
> slideshow there are (at least):
>
>           - ox-s5
>           - ox-deck
>           - ox-reveal
>           - beamer
>
> As well as pdf, html and others.
>
> So it doesn't seem to make sense to use org as a frontend to Rstudio,
> but i may be wrong...

Agree on most points, and will be checking out the HTML org options as I mentioned.

I did want to correct that slidify is not tied to rstudio, even though it integrates nicely with it. I was playing with it when straight from an R session within Emacs when I wrote the post.

It also has some nice web publishing features to send the presentation right to git, dropbox, or rpubs from R, (though I didn't try that outside of rstudio, so there could be caveats).

John