Re: [O] Preservation of white space in babel blocks, exporting to PDF

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Preservation of white space in babel blocks, exporting to PDF
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 11:54:18 -0600

On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 2:28 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'd still like to understand the src vs. example block discrepancy if
>> possible. It's really odd, especially since Nicholas isn't able to
>> reproduce even with the same minimal config.
>
> There is no discrepancy. You indent your code with tabs and these tabs
> appear in the TeX file, but Beamer cannot handle them properly. The same
> problem will arise in an example block.

>From whence comes this assumption? In the previous emails, I mentioned
the different treatment between src and example blocks with the same
code. I don't know why I'd complain about the .tex containing "some
sort of tab character" if I'd put it there myself!

> I couldn't reproduce it because I only indent with spaces.

This doesn't compute with me. If we're talking about reproduction, it
means that you ran my code as posted, with the same min config. What
you typically intent with wouldn't come into play. Feedback would be
provided on what my code produced on your system, as-is. You appear to
be highlighting that we indent differently instead (which I don't
think is the case).

To attempt to get at the root of this, find attached the exact .org
file (no confusion on tabs vs. spaces), and the outpuy .tex/.pdf
created (I renamed the .tex and .pdf so others don't have to worry
about them being overwritten with local export). My process, again, is
the following:
- $ emacs -Q
- M-x load-file ~/path/to/min-config
- C-x C-f ~/path/to/test.org
- C-c C-e l P (output to Beamer)

- M-x org-version
Org-mode version 8.2.5h (release_8.2.5h-576-gca0c77 @
/home/jwhendy/.elisp/org.git/lisp/)

- $ emacs --version
GNU Emacs 24.3.1

Check the .org file; no tabs. The latex output contains tabs for the
exported src block, but spaces for the example block. On a whim, I
added two more headlines to the .org file; they only use 2 or 3 spaces
vs. the first two headlines which contain 9. They export properly in
both cases. Could it be possible that there's some sort of
substitution of a tab for 5 spaces going on somewhere?

Thanks for any suggestions.

John