Re: [O] Emacs Mac Port

From: Alan Schmitt
Subject: Re: [O] Emacs Mac Port
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 10:21:14 +0100

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa <address@hidden> writes:

> Hey guys,
>
> If you are on a Mac, you *should* start using this:
>
> https://github.com/railwaycat/emacs-mac-port
>
> I've been having some serious issues with the vanilla Cocoa Emacs lately
> on Mavericks, including a nasty memory leak that would somehow trigger
> distnoted and put the CPU usage at 100% every hour or so.
>
> Besides being quite stable, it has some nice usability improvements made
> specifically to make Emacs integrate better with OSX. My orgmode
> experience has been much better since I started using it!

I second this. Things I really like are:
- fast flyspell (I was having issues because of syntax highlighting in
vanilla emacs);
- several full screen modes (native OS X fullscreen, or just "take the
whole screen with no menu bar" version, which I prefer);
- smooth scrolling;
- double tap with three fingers to get dictionary entries (OK, I admit
it's a gimmick, but it's fun nonetheless).

Alan