Re: [O] List of figures

From: Thomas S. Dye
Subject: Re: [O] List of figures
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2014 07:54:53 -1000

Aloha Nicolas,

> Hello,
>
> address@hidden (Thomas S. Dye) writes:
>
>> I'm trying to generate a list of figures for LaTeX export.  I thought to
>> use #+TOC: figures, but this didn't work.
>>
>> The Org Export Reference Documentation has this:
>>
>>   “TOC” keyword. It accepts three common values: “headlines”, “tables” and
>>   “listings”. Also, “headlines” value can have an optional numeric
>>   argument to specify depth of the contents.
>>
>>   See org-export-collect-headlines, org-export-collect-tables,
>>   org-export-collect-figures and org-export-collect-listings.
>>
>> Two questions:
>>
>> 1) Is there a reason that the TOC keyword doesn't accept the value
>> "figures"? The reference to org-export-collect-figures suggests that it
>> should accept this value.
>
> I had planned to allow "figures" for TOC, but I realized it was
> difficult to define what a "figure" is outside of LaTeX.
>
> There is the infrastructure, but it isn't used yet in back-ends.

I can imagine that a list of figures is a difficult problem in some
other back-ends.  However, its absence in LaTeX export seems unusual.

Would it make sense to have this work as expected for LaTeX export (and
perhaps other back-ends where it does make sense) and have other
back-ends insert a comment?

Not a big thing, obviously, but I was surprised when it didn't work.

All the best,
Tom

--
Thomas S. Dye