Re: [O] Writing your book with orgmode and publishing it on Leanpub

From: Waldemar Quevedo
Subject: Re: [O] Writing your book with orgmode and publishing it on Leanpub
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 21:26:55 +0900

> Sorry I sounded dismissive.  You are doing an awesome job, it's
amazing how much it did get right.
No problem at all :)

> My problem is that I am trying to share my sources as code, not as
> documentation.  I would like my .org files to be treated as you would
> treat Python code, shown as they are and syntax-highlighted.
I've been trying to have syntax highlighting available for documents rendered in Github
for a while now. Possibly when this pull request is accepted thinks would be highlighted:
https://github.com/github/markup/pull/254

> That said, the one place where the translation fails is when the
> source code of babel snippets should not be exported.  Again, probably
> due to the tension between the need to show the file's content and the
> desire to render it as a document.
I think this might be because :exports none|both|source is currently not implemented
for source code blocks, I will try to get this included in the next version of the gem.

Thanks for the feedback, and please if you find another issue let me know by creating an issue :)

Regards,

- Wally

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 5:33 PM, Juan Reyero <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 8:39 AM, Waldemar Quevedo
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> It is rather annoying that github understands the org syntax but not
>> quite, so the sources appear almost but not quite right.
> I maintain the parser that is being by Github =>
> https://github.com/wallyqs/org-ruby
> If you let me now the issues I can try to fix them, (or PRs are also
> welcome)....

Sorry I sounded dismissive.  You are doing an awesome job, it's
amazing how much it did get right.

My problem is that I am trying to share my sources as code, not as
documentation.  I would like my .org files to be treated as you would
treat Python code, shown as they are and syntax-highlighted.  If you
parse them you will inevitably miss the context I am relying upon to
render them properly (like when you ---rightly--- assume that html
should be left standing, but what I wrote expects a jekyll
post-process).

People visiting the repository will most likely be interested in what
I actually wrote, not in its rendering as a document.  Close to what
you get when you select Raw, but syntax-highlighted.  This is what I
want the repository for; the document is somewhere else.

That said, the one place where the translation fails is when the
source code of babel snippets should not be exported.  Again, probably
due to the tension between the need to show the file's content and the
desire to render it as a document.

> I have this example
> where you can use `#+layout:` instead of YAML.
> https://github.com/wallyqs/yet-another-jekyll-org-template
> https://github.com/eggcaker/jekyll-org/blob/master/convert.rb#L30

Thank you for the pointer.

Best,