[O] Export formats: Is there an in-house Emacs final format?

From: Lawrence Bottorff
Subject: [O] Export formats: Is there an in-house Emacs final format?
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 12:08:10 -0600

I'm a beginner, and I'm trying to imagine how I'd use org mode to create a sort of running conversation with myself. That is, I'd like to do a form of journaling where I could make notes to myself, which would include the usual text as outlne-hierarchy, hyperlinks too, but also babel code chunks, as well as any sort of mathematical formulae I might want to include. It's this last requirement that seems to be the hardest. As far as I can tell, the readability of my raw org file would go out the window when I started trying to put in math formulae. As I understand, you basically do raw Tex markup for math stuff -- and you can only see the results when you export to something external to Emacs like html for a browser or PDF for a PDF viewer. Is this correct?

And for my title question, is there a native "in-house" i.e., the final product is viewable in Emacs, export that would be rich enough (text, images, and math symbols)? Besides the embedding of a PDF viewer in a buffer trick, Emacs seems to have only Info. Does Info allow images and fairly normal-looking math symbols? Or is "final product" always an off-site, extra-Emacs business?

Lawrence Bottorff
North Shore MN