Re: [O] link interfering with brackets when abbreviated

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: [O] link interfering with brackets when abbreviated
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 18:42:16 +0100

Hi Michael and Nicolas,

Michael Brand <address@hidden> writes:

> And once again thank you for your work in reimplementing more and more
> by using org-element.

A quick note on this.

Here are the reasons why we *want* to rewrite some functions using
org-element:

- *bug fixing*: the rewrite fixes bugs.

- *speed*: the rewrite provides a faster implementation;

- *predictability*: the rewrite provides a more predictable
   implementation;

- *completeness*: the rewrite covers more use-cases than the
  previous /ad hoc/ implementation.

Now here are the reasons why we *don't want* to use org-element:

- *high ceiling*: if the rewrite is less readable for potential
  developers.

- *complexity*: if the rewritten version is more complex.

- *rigidity*: if the rewritten version adds unwanted constraints.

Of course, the decision is always a trade-off.

I'm particularily sensitive to the "high ceiling" point above: we
don't want all contributors to learn about Org elements before they
can submit a patch -- of course, many will do, and we can encourage
them to do so, but let's not close too many doors.

IOW, even though org-element.el is great (and I hope my comments above
will not be taken as criticism), "rewriting using org-element" is not
a goal /per se/, just one great possibility to use when needed.

--
 Bastien