Re: [O] link interfering with brackets when abbreviated

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] link interfering with brackets when abbreviated
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 21:20:18 +0100

Hello,

Yasushi SHOJI <address@hidden> writes:

> However, we humans are not machines nor slave of computers.  We tell
> computers what we want, or even, we want to make computers think and
> do what we are thinking. That's the reason why we, these days, have
> *-dwim commands.  We don't want to make our users to adopt how
> computers work.

This is one of the things that annoy me: opening next link on the same
line is not, IMO, "dwim". See below.

>> Anyway, I don't understand why there is so much fuss about this.
>
> That's because a) the commands have been working

This is not a sufficient reason. We are discussing a minor feature.
Removing it doesn't remove any functionality to Org, as the "thing" just
saves a few keystrokes, on a good day.

While re-implementing the function, it appears that the feature just
doesn't fit. So this is a good time to ponder about its real usefulness,
and, if it is worth bending the new function to add it back. I think it
isn't.

As I already said, opening the next link in the same line is dubious. In
the following example, with point between the links, the previous
behaviour was to open "link2":

  [[link1]]  [[link2]]

Now consider the following case, where point is before the "a":

  [[link1]] a very ... very long line of text [[link2]]

The previous behaviour implied to also open "link2". This is not really
straightforward. Worse, if `visual-line-mode' is on, [[link2]] can be
many lines below. In the following case, with point still before the
first "a", opening [[link2]] is just odd:

  [[link1]] a very ... very long line
  which spans over many visual lines
  of text [[link2]].

It is odd because in the same situation, without `visual-line-mode' but
with `auto-fill-mode' on, C-c C-o will report "No link found".

So, why do we care about the same line? We could as well open the next
link in the same paragraph (or verse block, table cell). I'm not arguing
for the latter, but I insist on the fact that opening "next link on the
same line" is arbitrary and not really "dwim".

OTOH, I'm sure Emacs users know (beginners aside, but they'll learn
soon) how to move quickly point wherever they want, without even
thinking about it.

> b) many other commands _do_ work even if it's not right on the
> elements. ie. S-right right after a timestamp, C-c C-c on checkbox
> list. Are you planning to remove these features, too?

C-c C-c already uses Elements. I'll leave S-right for another day.

>> I think that the coolness of the feature eludes me for all I can see is
>> a crude hack.
>
> What if we create org-open-at-point-dwim and map to C-c C-o.  Nicolas,
> do you object?

Implementing it in `org-open-at-point' or `org-open-at-point-whatever'
is still implementing it in Org. I still think it's not worth it.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou