[O] Org-link-escape-chars (was Incorrect hexification in URLs in LaTeX E

From: R. Michael Weylandt <address@hidden>
Subject: [O] Org-link-escape-chars (was Incorrect hexification in URLs in LaTeX Export)
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 15:06:51 -0500

On Feb 28, 2014, at 15:26, Andreas Leha <address@hidden> wrote:

> "R. Michael Weylandt <address@hidden>"
> <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I've tried this with Org 7.9.3 and 8.2.5h to the same result:
>>
>> <---------------------->
>> #+TITLE: Test
>> * One
>> Here is a [[http://google.com/search?q=orgmode][link]]
>> <---------------------->
>>
>> Exporting to HTML doesn't transform the link but exporting to LaTeX results
>> in the (non-working) http://google.com/search?%3Dorgmode
>>
>> Is there a reason for this behavior and, if so, a way to work around it?
>>
>> RFC 3986 2.2 explicitly says URLs may include `=` and =url-encode-url=
>> doesn't change the link in question.
>>
>> I've played with org-url-hexify-p and read past ML discussions, but
>> they seem primarily concerned with characters which should not appear
>> in URIs.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Michael
>

> Hi Michael,
>
> I have recently been bitten by this as well.  Based on a block
> post [fn:1], I now have this in my .emacs as a work-around:

> (defun al-link-filter (contents backend info)
>  (let ((contents (replace-regexp-in-string "\\\\#\\+name:.*$" ""
> contents)));; old and unrelated
>      (replace-regexp-in-string "%3D" "=" contents)))
> (add-to-list 'org-export-filter-final-output-functions 'al-link-filter)

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for this. I had time to dig further and it seems that the 'problem'  is
the default value of org-link-escape-chars, which explicitly escapes = as well
as other valid URL characters.

Perhaps someone more familiar with this code could explain the choice these
escapes.

Michael

[Subject updated because the problem isn't LaTeX specific in 8.2.5h, only in
7.9.3]