Re: [O] Screencast of lispy.el with org-mode code base

From: Oleh
Subject: Re: [O] Screencast of lispy.el with org-mode code base
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 15:38:57 +0100

>> The package provides a key binding method that can work effectively
>> only for a Lisp-like language: Elisp, Scheme, Common Lisp and Clojure
>> all fit here.
>
> I better understand the name then.
>
> Looks like quite a big project already.

Yes, it's my biggest yet.

> Each time I tried paredit, I could not stand it for more than
> a few minutes, I've not been patient so far, especially since
> `electric-pair-mode' is now on by default and does 90% of what
> I need.

That's how I've started to write lispy: with 3 functions for inserting
pairs and a re-bind of `forward-list`/`backward-list` to "]"/"[".

> But I may look at other solutions than paredit (being conscious
> your librarie goes far beyond that.)

Sure. Not everyone likes paredit (at first:). That's why each locally
bound function in lispy is constructed from a regular interactive
function: so you can use them without turning on the minor mode.

But somehow paredit together with other powerful tools becomes more
than the sum of its parts: paredit + multiple-cursors allows easy
refactors of repeated information, lispy store region + ediff makes
for easier and faster diffs, and lispy narrowing + ace-jump-mode
symbol selection + iedit allows to rename variables faster.

And of course it's nice to keep some specialty tools handy:
`lispy-multiline` ("M") may not seem like much, but it's great after a
`macroexpand-all`.

And look at `lispy-flatten` ("xf"):

    |(org-defkey org-mode-map [(meta up)]    'org-metaup)

->

    |(define-key org-mode-map (org-key [(meta up)]) 'org-metaup)

Nifty, right?

regards,
Oleh