Re: [O] org-cook

From: Xebar Saram
Subject: Re: [O] org-cook
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 20:03:33 +0200

Thanks so much for the tips Erik

i will explore the ingredients in table idea as suggested. do you know perhaps of a way to quick format online recipes to an org table (that is webpage html to org table) or perhaps a way to convert already entered recipes in my org files to tables

kind regards

Z.

On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 7:38 PM, Erik Hetzner <address@hidden> wrote:
At Sat, 15 Mar 2014 09:24:23 +0200,
Xebar Saram wrote:

> Dear Eric and org users
>
> i am a new(ish) org user and an avid cooker. i have started using
> orgmodeas my recipe notebook and stumbled upon the old org-cook
> thread.
> Is there so documentation on this? do you still use it?
> are there any other ideas/suggestions on using orgmode as a recipe notebook?
> what i would mainly love is a way to "scrape" recipes off websites into org

Hi Xebar,

I still use org to manage my recipes, but I don’t use the org-cook
features. It was kind of a proof of concept, and I think it could
prove useful, but it turns out I don’t often need to convert between
units.

I have been trying out the format described in [1]. I used to use a
format like:

  Grate zest from 3 of them. Combine. Add:
  - 2 tbsp peanut oil
  - 2 chicken bouillon cubes, crumbled
  - 5 onions, thinly julienned
  - salt and pepper

But the new one looks like:

  Grate zest from 3 of them. Combine. Add:
  | 2 tbsp  | peanut oil       |                  |
  | 2 cubes | chicken bouillon | crumbled         |
  | 5       | onions,          | thinly julienned |
  |         | salt and pepper  |                  |

I think the table structure should make it easier to manipulate,
change units, or create shopping lists. (But I create shopping lists
by hand.)

One hack I do use is the following function:

(defun org-random-element ()
  "Choose a random element from the buffer."
  (interactive)
  (let ((element-start -1)
        (count 1))
    (while (not (org-first-sibling-p))
      (org-goto-sibling t))
    (save-excursion
      (while (org-goto-sibling)
              (setq count (+ 1 count))))
    (org-forward-heading-same-level (random count))))

This chooses a random element from a list of headings. I use this to
plan meals. I just keep running the function until I see something
that I feel like cooking.

Hope that helps!

best, Erik

1. http://sachachua.com/blog/2012/06/emacs-org-grocery-lists-batch-cooking/