Re: [O] Bug: \uline produced inside \section in latex export [8.2.5h (8.

From: Nicolas Richard
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: \uline produced inside \section in latex export [8.2.5h (8.2.5h-30-gdd810b-elpa @ /home/user/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20140303/)]
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 18:06:54 +0100

> It is technically possible to use \underline (hard-coded) in sections
> and \uline (or whatever is defined in`org-latex-text-markup-alist')
> everywhere else.
>
> Is there any downside to this proposal?

Disclaimer : While I do use LaTeX, I rarely use the exporter, and never
underline in sections.

(The shed should be green, obviously.)

I don't know why \uline doesn't work, but while \underline works, it
does so with many warnings. I think the reason is that hyperref tries to
add the text to the PDF TOC (usually a pane in the pdf viewer), and that
supports very little to no formatting.

Rasmus' suggestion seemed good, i.e.
\texorpdfstring{\uline{SECTION}}{SECTION}

I'd go even a little further : assuming it makes sense to underline
within a section header, does it also make sense to propagate that
formatting to the toc and/or header of the document ? If not, I suggest
exporting as:
\section[not-so-plain text]{\uline{not-so-plain} \textbf{text}}

Also I don't know why there was underlining in the first place. If we're
asking to underline all section titles, then it might make sense to
redefine e.g. \section to do so (packages titlesec might help).

--
Nico.