Re: [O] [RFC] Sloppy `org-element-context'?

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Sloppy `org-element-context'?
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 22:34:14 +0100

Hi,

> As you may know, `org-element-context' returns the object under point,
> according to Org Syntax. The questions are: should it be a little
> sloppy, for convenience? And, if it should, what degree of sloppiness is
> acceptable?

Would it make sense to make it optional?  For my personal hacks, I
much prefer to work with an element, if possible, and flexibility
could facility fast and easy hacks.  On the other hand in Org-core
clarity and strictness is (probably) preferable.  So something like
this

    (let (org-element-strict) (FUN (org-element-context) ...)).

> Note that, at the time being, the function is already somewhat sloppy,
> because it will return an object right before point. In the following
> example, "|" is point. Even though it is not on the bold object,
> evaluating (org-element-context) there will give:
>
>   "*bold*| text"  =>  (bold ...)

> Should we go further? A recent discussion about opening links in node
> properties suggests that some users expect to encounter Org syntax
> there. I believe this is not generally desirable.

I haven't seen this discussion.  I looked briefly at the suggested
patch; I don't understand why it would be necessary or desirable.  But
I will not rule out that I have yet to consider the correct case!

> Anyway, here we are. I think it is important to define clearly what
> belongs to the syntax (I think it is quite good at the moment), what can
> be allowed for the sake of convenience, and what line should never be
> crossed (I firmly believe, for example, that `org-element-context'
> should never return objects in a comment, an example block, or
> a fixed-width area).

As a user I have no problems with the syntax.

As a hacker (not quite a developer!), I do at time desire more
flexibility with org-context to temporarily evaluating an element
under alternative assumptions of its properties.  A recent example
evaluate $x^{z}$ as-if it isn't a latex-fragment.

—Rasmus

--
This space is left intentionally blank